Obesity is an epidemic in the United States and currently over 65% of the population is overweight. The combination of processed foods which are essentially empty carbohydrates calories, along with technology that has decreased the physical activity of Americans has led to our nation being one of the fattest in the world.
Here are 5 ways that Americans can lose some weight and hopefully make our nation drop in the category of which are the fattest nations in the world.
1. Drink alcohol after you order dinner. If you drink at a restaurant well before you order dinner, you may start to get a little buzz and it may take away your inhibitions when it comes to making choices off the menu that are healthy. Waiting until after you order with a clear head and then having a cocktail over dinner will be better for you in the long run.
2. Buy healthier food. The United States is a nation of fast food restaurants and processed food that is put on the shelf in a box, carton, or container. If a person can stop buying junk food and buy food that is high quality fresh and full of nutrients and actually may cost them less considerably in the long run.
If you buy produce that is fresh and in season, usually it is plentiful and will be priced to sell. You can save consideration money by joining a food co-op. Purchasing frozen fruits and vegetables can be a terrific alternative as they still have significant nutrients in them and often times flavor is preserved. Also purchasing dried foods like chick peas and beans can give a person high quality protein and also be a good buy at the same time
3. The typical American consumes 35 teaspoons of sugar a day. This is typically part and parcel of eating a huge amount of processed foods and you also get a lot that occurs naturally in fruits and vegetables. If you start reading the labels of the food that you purchase you'll find a sugar in the name of ingredients such as glucose, honey, dextrose, fructose, maltose, sucrose, just to name a few.
4. Get more sleep. Failing to get enough sleep can lead to numerous health problems. Also some research has shown that getting more sleep can decrease tenders for making poor food choices.
5. Exercise more. When you look at the physical activity of the United States, we're pretty much at an all-time low. If you work on the 3rd floor in a building, try walking up the stairs each day going to and from work. Getting out for a walk once a day with your dog or your partner can be an excellent form of exercise for about 30 min. a few days a week. Exercise even helps if a person eats fast food regularly. It does not completely double the combat the fast food meal but it does help with a person's blood vessels and potentially reduce cardiovascular disease.