As people gain weight at a fast rate, they are actually crossing the threshold between being overweight and being obese. This increases the risk of many diseases. Even though we are generally aware of the health dangers of obesity, we still try to ignore them thinking that weight loss is only about looking good. But for the people who are severely overweight making the commitment to lose weight can become a matter of choosing between life and death.
Obesity is not only a leading health problem, but a serious health hazard that needs to be tackled immediately before it starts creating more serious problems in your life. The increase in weight brings an increased risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer and shorter life expectancy. The risks of obesity are immense. Making people aware of these dangers helps prevent obesity by controlling the basic factors that lead to it. By adopting the required preventive measures, obese people can retain their health and live a long enjoyable life.
Here is an overview of the main dangers of obesity:
* Heart disease and strokes are the main causes of disability among people and can even turn life threatening at times. Obese people are at higher risk of heart failure, heart attack and stroke.
* Obesity can also lead to diabetes. This illness reduces the ability of the body to control the sugar levels in the blood. Diabetes is dangerous as it can damage organs and cause death. Thus, eating foods that help keep the blood sugar levels normal is essential. Otherwise you may end up suffering from diabetes and fail to live a healthy life, as diabetic people have low immunity and develop health problems quickly.
* Obese women are at higher risk of gall bladder cancer, ovarian cancer and breast cancer. Obese men are more likely to develop colorectal and prostate cancer than those males with normal weight. These are the possible dangers that overweight women and men face. Researchers suggest that the presence of more fat in the body results in hormonal imbalances that may lead to cancer. The important thing is that by losing weight, you can reduce your risk of cancer.
* Overweight people exert additional pressure on their knees and lower back joints. This results in the thinning of the cartilage. In turn, these people are at higher risk of suffering from osteoarthritis.
* Obesity may also cause breathing problems. These end up affecting the sleeping pattern of the individual. Overweight people are more likely to suffer from sleep apnea. They may snore heavily and stop breathing for short periods during the night.
* Arteriosclerosis is another danger of obesity. It is a result from the increase in the cholesterol levels in the arterial blood vessels. As the cholesterol builds up, plaque is formed inside the treaties. They become narrower and harder. In this way, the blood flow gets disrupted and forces your heart to pump harder increasing your blood pressure. The heart muscle is affected as well. In turn, you are more likely to suffer from heart failure and a heart attack.
* The problems associated with obesity get worse with time because as you age, your metabolism slows down. You also start to lose one pound of lean muscle each year due to inactivity. The possible dangers of obesity lead from heart diseases to cancer become more serious with time. So, it is better for you to take control over the situation and try to adopt good eating habits and adopt an active lifestyle to stay fit and healthy and cut down your body fat.
* Obesity leads to silent diseases, such as high blood pressure, which may go undiagnosed for a long time. So, it's always better to stay healthy and fit to enjoy a prosperous, healthy and long life.
Most obese children grow up to become obese adults, so it is essential that you start to tackle your obesity problems right from the early stages of gaining weight. In this way you will be able to deal with the root cause of obesity and enjoy a healthier life for longer.
Even though it takes time and hard work to adopt a healthy lifestyle, the long term results are more than beneficial. You are slim and healthy as well as self confident.