If there is a medical condition present, it is probably wise to get medical advice on the correct diet. But bearing in mind that we are classified as obese (BMI of 30 40) long before we actually can think that we are able to find a fairly simple obesity solution before we are classified as morbidly obese (BMI over 40).
Here are some very simple tips to fight obesity that will reduce the size of your belly:
- Balance all your meals as far as possible to contain 20% fat, 40% carbohydrates and 40% protein. Fats should be healthy fats, carbohydrates must be complex carbs and protein should be lean meat, eggs or nuts.
- Avoid carbohydrates at night when your body does not need the energy
- Eat six small meals per day rather than three big ones. This will speed up your metabolism and you will seldom feel hungry.
- Drink at least eight glasses of water per day and try to consume as many as sixteen glasses of water. Water flushes your system and helps you to feel full. Drinking water after a meal can also cleanse your mouth and remove any associations you may have for “after dinner trips”. Do not laugh, we are all creatures of habit and if you are used to having dessert straight after a meal this can be a hard habit to break. A large part of finding a permanent obesity solution has to do with the mental aspects of will power and breaking old bad habits.
- If you have a craving for something to eat, choose a healthy snack. Some examples could be:
- a handful of nuts (not peanuts because peanuts are legumes not nuts)
- a couple of carrots with peanut butter dip
- what we call biltong in South Africa and is called beef jerky in America (made from lean meat)
- rice cakes with cheese cheese or peanut butter
- a small packet of trail mix
The options for small snacks that will not add to your belly fat are endless, but it is important to try and stick to the six small meals per day, and these snacks can form part of those meals.
Many of the exercise programs available in the market promote the use of protein shakes and other muscle boosting meal replacement supplements. However these are more suitable for serious body builders and athletes. If you are an average guy or girl that just wants to lose the belly fat, the best obesity solution is to simply follow a good common sense eating plan that is based on what nature intended us to eat.